Our aim is to empower children, youth and young adults by providing a educational platform where they can be supported in developing their potential and improving their own lives.
Our language and skill training programs provide volunteers with the opportunity to make a difference to our local community members who would otherwise lack these important opportunities. At our own small school we are promoting the integration of special need students into the educational system. Additionally volunteers have the unique chance to present and implement their own ideas with the support of the team whilst also making a positive difference to our community.
• Assist organizing and leading intercultural events and regular meetings for local community members and international volunteers, expats and travelers with cross-cultural activities fostering exchange and integration.
• Assist in our school with recreational, developmental and therapeutic activities for special need kids and young adults
• Help with special events and outings
• Play and take care of underprivileged children and young adults
• Assist with skill training, teaching computer literacy to community members of all ages
• Assist with maintenance and restoration activities on our school building
• Assist teachers with projects and activities geared to children and young adults with special needs
• Have weekly meetings with other volunteers and staff to create weekly schooling plans
• Assist teaching English and German classes (or any other language) to local youth and adults and prepare them for jobs in the tourist industry
• Create your own project or activity
We are constantly adapting our activities to community needs and volunteer numbers and capacities. If you wish to specialize in a particular activity we will do our best to accommodate your personal preferences. However, you can be asked to be involved in a combination of activities which can also require working directly in contact with our beneficiaries, underprivileged children, youth and young adults. You are welcome to teach languages or computer literacy classes or assist teaching at our school for special need students. Our school requires 22 hours of preparations and classroom activities per week.
Create your own project!
In addition to established community activities and programs you have the chance to set up your own volunteer opportunities with the financial and organizational support of our charity.
Activities for Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy Students or Professionals
Your skills can be utilized at our special needs school. The children at the school have a range of development challenges. The only clinic that provides therapy is too far and expensive for most of the families to attend and therefore with your skills the children can get the therapy they need. Please contact us for more information.
"If this entry makes its way on the internet and you are considering volunteering here, if you can give a time commitment of a couple of weeks the benefit to both you and the beneficiaries will be really worthwhile."
~ Janet Kenealy / Kilkenny, Ireland
No previous experience or special skills are required but basic Spanish language skills are very helpful and recommanded; all that is necessary is enthusiasm, self-reliance, patience and an open mind. However, volunteers with experience are strongly encouraged to apply. We welcome individual volunteers, families and groups regardless of age, experience or background. You don't have to speak fluent Spanish; we provide free Spanish classes on a regular basis, full support and 24/7 back up. An ideal candidate is proactive, and has a results-focused attitude and is willing to engage in activities with our support, back-up & supervision but on his own in case no other volunteer is available for that specific same activity.
Volunteer Placement or Internship
This program can be booked as volunteer placement or as internship.
A minimum of 2 weeks is required
Samana: Special need school; Computer Literacy; English and German classes (or any additional language); Intercultural events & exchange,
Las Terrenas: Montessori school; English and German classes (or any additional language); community lending Libary; Intercultural events & exchange